Friday 22 March 2013

H20- Dealing with a water “crisis”


[In honour of World Water Day. Which was today!]

Think about your day and about the amount of times that you have used water. I showered, flushed the toilet, made some tea, did my laundry and washed my dishes. All of these activities used a lot of water. I only recently fully realized how important water was when Rhodes was struck by a 4-day water ‘crisis’. For four days we did not have any water and people were miserable (and smelly.)

I must admit that I was also quite moody about the situation. Res smelt bad due to the clogged toilets and I had to mission all the way to a friend’s digs just to shower. Every day it got worse and worse and we prayed for the water to come back. And it then it did. ‘Crisis’ over.

Once I was showered, it dawned on me how incredibly ungrateful we all were being. Our water came back. The only reason we missed it so much was because we knew what it felt like to have water. We knew what it was like to have flushing toilets and taps just across from our beds. We called it a water ‘crisis’ when there are woman in Ethiopia who have to walk one hour twice a day to collect water for basic things.



Water.org is an organisation founded in order to provide water sources for the 2.6 billion people across the globe that are truly going through a water crisis. That means that they do not have access to clean, safe water supplies. I would suggest you look them up in order to understand truly what they are all about.


(Fun Fact: Actor Matt Damon is one of the co-founders of Water.org. One of role models, Hank Green, is also actively involved.)


Follow Hank Green's time Haiti:





No comments:

Post a Comment