Monday 22 April 2013

Road tripping

In the popular culture road trips have been quite romanticised. A group of young people pile into a car; go on an adventure; find love; find themselves and arrive with a new sense of perspective. The Road trip is one of the most over-used metaphors for adolescence.


Having had taken about 19 road trips between Bloemfontein and Grahamstown I can safely say that road trips aren’t always that… metaphorical. They aren’t inherently adventurous. They usually involve long hours staring into the distance pretending to be deep and thoughtful. Recently one of my best friends, Roxanne, and I drove back to Grahamstown together. Roxy lives in Kimberly which is about a 2 hour drive away from Bloemfontein, so it was a long day of driving. My dad dropped me off in Kimberly at 8am and we jumped into Roxy’s adorable little Golf for the long trip.

I was meant to be the navigator/ food passer/ DJ for the trip, but about an hour in I passed and slept for about 2 hours; forcing Rox to naturally take embarrassing photos of me which she then passed on to all our friends in res. After those 2 hours we stopped in some Children-of-the-corn town to use the bathroom and like an idiot I close my door without checking if Roxy had taken the keys out of the car. For a moment we both panicked about being stuck in the town in which House of Wax could have been filmed. Luckily the boot opened and Rox clambered in over our luggage to get the keys. So we were off again!

After that our trip was fairly uninteresting. We listened to good music, caught each other up on our holidays and laughed at stupid radio interviews. Along the way Rox would slow down so that I could take photos of the Eastern Cape landscape, sky-divers and even monkeys.

A road trip is what you make it. It becomes a little adventures if you want it to be. Not every road trip is going to be epic, or particularly exciting, but the little memories will be enough for me.

John Green, the king of road trip literature (or any contemporary literature actually) once wrote:
"As long as we don't die, this is gonna be one hell of a story."

Maybe the story is just a part of life. Maybe the story is just the few extra hours I got to spend hanging out with my best friend. 


1 comment: