Wednesday 27 April 2011

Starting fresh...

So this is my first blog...I've tried to write a blog numerous times, but somehow when I started to write it came out pretentious or superficial. Then I realized that I can’t be self-conscious about my thoughts, because everyone has opinions and I’ve always enjoyed writing so I’m going give it a shot. PS I’m going to try to write something I would want to read and reflect on later…    
So to get straight into it… the other night at dinner one of my newly-made ‘varsity friends commented on how my things she has experienced in this year so far and it got me thinking. This year is all about “firsts” so I might as well embrace it.
First year of living away from home: check. First year of studying at a university in a different province: check. First laundry disaster: Double check.
Let’s start at the beginning…I grew up in Bloemfontein in the Free State, which I consider the most underrated city in the whole of South Africa, but that’s open to debate. Anyway, I’ve always been interested in Drama and Media Studies, so last year I decided that I had to study at Rhodes University in Grahamestown in the Eastern Cape, which is famous for its Journalism and Drama departments and unfortunately infamous for many other things…
Coming to Grahamestown was such a culture shock, since the Free State is quite conservative. I’ve only been here a few moment and everyday I’m in awe of everything I’ve never experienced before. I’m supposed to be older and wiser, but a part of me is still that girl on the playground trying to make friends or getting nervous when talking to new people...(John Green knows that feeling.)
Truth be told I’ve learnt that you end up making friends in the most unexpected ways. Like doing laundry for example. Why has the simple act of doing laundry become like a rite of passage for so many young people? As my clothes soaked in an excessive amount of washing power a crowd of res. mates had gathered and naturally burst out laughing as I ran around flustered about my sopping wet clothes. Sure I used up all my allowed laundry slots and my clothes only dried three days later, but laundry disasters have the odd way of bonding people. Maybe embarrassing moments makes it easier to relax around other people, because despite the clique, laughter is the best way of making friends.
PS My friends called me Hamster as a nickname in high school and it kind of stuck. I don’t exactly remember why they called me that. It could have something to do with the overbite I used to have, but one can never be sure. ;) PSS The quote next to my photo is my fabourite quote by  a band called Chameleon Circuit, written by Charlie McDonnell...)
Until next time! =D

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are blogging Elri! Keep it up! And keep checking out the Helen O'Grady blog, and my own personal blog!
    On Tuesday in class Christo was saying how everything has changed since you guys left...it just doesn't feel the same. True. Whole new dynamic. We do miss you! But life goes on, and looks like all of you (from keeping up with you on facebook) are seizing the day!! Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete