Thursday 28 February 2013

I know, you know! (Psych review)

In-between the lines there’s a lot of obscurity/ I’m not inclined to resign to maturity/ If it’s all right/ then you’re all wrong/ Why bounce around to the same damn song?/
I know, you know, I’m not telling the truth/ I know, you know, they just don’t have any proof/ Twist the deception/ learn how to bend your worst inhabitations/ will PSYCH you out in the end!!

So this song has been stuck in my head for ages! I blame the TV show, Psych and it’s brilliant theme song.

Psych follows the life of Shawn Spencer, played by the hilarious and delicious James Roday, a young man whose constant tips to the police made him a suspect in many crimes. His father (Corbin Benson) had trained him to be a very observant and although he never officially became a detective he pretends to be a psych so that he can help the police solve crimes, with the help of his straight-as-an-arrow, reluctant pharmaceutical rep, best friend Burton “Gus” Guster, played by the talented and adorable Dulé Hill. Shawn sets up his own psychic detective agency and uses his unique skills to solve crimes, while at the same time pissing off Head police detective Carlton “Lassy” Lassitor and flirting with Junior Detective Juilet ‘O Hara.

Psych is kinda like a comedy version of the Mentalist. Not that I’ve even ever watched the Mentalist and since the Mentalist aired about a year after Psych it often gets mocked in the show for being a rip-off. 

The humour is not only quirky, but also so sharp and witty with a multitude of cult references from the 80’s, which is quite an ego-boost for me when I actually catch the reference. The usage of 80’s music also adds a special element to the show. Fun fact: Steve Franks, the creator of the show, wrote and performed the theme song for the show himself.

James Roday and Dulé Hill are both amazing actors and their on-screen chemistry helps to create TV’s greatest bro-mance. Masters of physical comedy both actors fully embrace their characters, thus making them more lovable. Shawn’s exaggerated “psychic” visions and Gus’ dramatic reactions to dead bodies are some of my favourite parts. The will-they won’t-they chemistry between Juliet and Shawn is insane for the first moment they shared a scene together. I haven’t seen further than season 5, but I hope it works out between them. (Fun Fact: James Roday (Shawn) and Maggie Dawson (Juliet) currently have an off-screen relationship.)

Confession time:  Even though James Roday and Dulé Hill are both dreamy I have a tiny crush on Timothy Omundson’s character Carlton Lassitor. With his badass nature, salt-and-pepper hair, skill with his…um…guns and deep blue eyes, which, as Shawn puts it, “women want to cannonball into” Lassy is the ultimate hard-core, alluring detective  Timothy Omundson is so prefect for the role and it’s ironic that such a serious character can have so many comedic aspects to him.  Maybe I have a thing for older men… (PS Sage Brocklebank as the naïve adorable McNab isn’t too bad either.)

Confession number two: Yes, I’m that nerdy kind of person who watches episodes of TV series with the commentary on. My love of acting and performance has also instilled a love for Behind-the-scene footage in me. Psych is known for having hilarious blooper footages,  comically called Psych-Outs, which usually involve James Roday and Dulé Hill breaking out into song. 

I would recommend checking Psych out.

No comments:

Post a Comment