Tuesday 27 May 2014

Rhodes Confessions:

Despite all the pretentious blogs written about this topic I think that the Rhodes Confession page has spurred on a lot of debate. Last year one of my friends, an exchange student from Boston, told us about Boston Collage Confessions.  For the last three years Boston students have been making anonymous confessions about student life. Recently Rhodes got themselves a confessions pages too; following UCT’s example- who fairly beat us to it. There was a lot of drama with the original page- which I’m not going to get into- but to make a long, ugly story short the page was shut down and a few unnecessary harsh words were said to innocent parties. Two other Rhodes Confession pages were created in its absence, but they didn’t live up to the 6000 follower infamy of the original.


I’m not going to lie. Some stupid things have come out of this Confession pages. People take the opportunity to confess to absolutely crazy things, which may or may not even be true. A lot of the confessions disgusted me, but there were a number of ones that stood out. For me the confessions’ page has been a very interesting insight into the lives of the people that live around me. Imperfect, flawed humans who for the first felt that they could be honest about the completely human things that they do. Often I was even able to make out who made a certain confession.  Rhodes Confessions united Rhodents and it gave many of us a sense of patriotic pride in our status as Rhodents. And that, in itself, can outshine the negative aspects. 



No comments:

Post a Comment