Tuesday 28 May 2013

Coffee Addict

Coffee and I have always had what one can call a complex, and often strained relationship. In fact I usually have quite bad reactions to caffeine. One Coca-Cola can cause hours of headaches.  I never used to be much of a coffee drinker, but once I got to university those late nights doing assignments have forced me to drink a lot more coffee than I’m used to. This is where it gets complicated.

At this point in my life the coffee I’m drinking is Instant coffee, filled with lots of milk and sugar. Sometimes I barely enjoy what I’m drinking, but I still drink it in order to get my boost of caffeine. I could easily drink about three or four cups of terrible coffee a day, especially during exam time.

Last term my Writer and Editing class was given the opportunity to escape the Writing Lab and venture out on a number of field trips. One of those field trips led us to the inner workings of Homeground, a very popular coffee roastery in Grahamstown. I’ve had numerous cups of take-away cappuccinos on my way to Drama lectures, since Homeground is just across the street from the Theatre. I was amazed to see the inner workings of a coffee shop that I have visited numerous times, but have only seen the outside.

The owner of the rostery spoke with such passion about coffee. She mentioned that to her coffee should be untainted, so that you can taste the nuances in the flavours. She even compared it to wine tasting. As a wine lover and taster this thought stuck. Imagine if I could taste my coffees like I taste my wines. Develop my palate. Sounds like a challenge I’m willing to try.

I’ve discovered that I am starting to become somewhat of a coffee addict. Constantly striving for that great cup of coffee. Recently Provost coffee shop opened right behind my res! Naturally this is a lot more convenient for me than going to Café De’vine or to Homeground. Built in the old prison it has a lot of history. If you are looking for me I’ll be in the upstairs nook with a cappuccino and my study notes.



(PS the best cup of coffee that I have ever had was a Vanilla Cappuccino from a coffee machine in Italy during a Europe tour five years ago. We stopped at a rest stop with literally a wall of coffee machines. In the midst of being bombarded with coffee choices The Vanilla Cappuccino stuck out.)




No comments:

Post a Comment