Tuesday 14 May 2013

Too much for Abercrombie and Fitch


Recently American retail store Abercrombie and Fitch has been under fire after the 
a
uthors of the new novel “Rules of Retail” revealed negative comments by their staff.  In 2006 CEO, Mike Jeffries, stated that they will only be catering for a certain type of customer; namely skinny customers. I’m not even making this up. He basically said that any girl who fits into a size large isn't welcome at their clothing store. Thus they don’t stock XL or XXL sizes in women's clothing.

Even though these comments were made years ago it is clear that the clothing brand still operates under than philosophy. It makes me sick to think that this is actually a marketing tactic. They are encouraging young people to be exclusionary and for people to judge those who do not look a certain way.

"A lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

Jeffries went on to say that they only cater for a ‘cool’ crowd, thus implying that being ‘cool’ as anything to do with your appearance. Well, this is 2013 and most of their customers are no longer in high school.

I don’t know what else to say. As someone who, according to Jefferies decription, would not be allowed to shop at Abercrombie and Fitch I’m a little put off by this concept. I think that no one should shop there if that is their philosophy. I’d rather wear comfortable, larger clothes than any of that pretentious crap they have to offer.



Andrea Neusner, from the Huffington Post, wrote this absolutely wonderful reply to Jeffries remakes. You go Andrea Neusner:

Dear Mr. Jeffries:
Thank you for clarifying the reason you do not carry sizes larger than a 10 at Abercrombie. Your customer is an "attractive, all-American kid with a great attitude and lots of friends." I am a mom of 3 daughters, ages 17, 13, and 10. They are all thin, attractive, all-American kids with great attitudes and lots of friends. They shop at Abercrombie. I believe they are your target audience.

Please find the enclosed clothing, purchased at our local Abercrombie/Abercrombie and Fitch stores. My thin, popular, cool kids will not need them anymore.
Not only will I not let my kids shop at Abercrombie again, I will not let them wear what they already have in their closets. Normally I donate our unwanted clothes, but in this case, I wouldn't want any unsuspecting thin, cool person to send the message that being exclusionary is OK.

 Sincerely,
Andrea Neusner



 Youtube Star and Celebrity Commentator Michael Buckley has one of the best 
reactions to these comments:

"XL girls have XL personalities and they don't need to be wearing this basic shit…" 






No comments:

Post a Comment