Sunday 19 May 2013

The revery alone will do


  If you haven’t noticed yet, I am a super literature nerd and I truly wish that I could be like Emily Dickinson. (Correction: I wish I could write like her; not live like her. Poor girl was a bit of a hermit.)

Emily Dickinson was a very prolific private poet, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime.  And even less survived over the years. 

She acquired local notoriety; she was rarely seen, and when she was, she was usually clothed in white. Legend has it that later in her life Dickinson wore white all the time. When Thomas Higginson met her in 1870, she was dressed in white; her one surviving dress is white; and she was buried in white. Emily Dickinson life story is filled with a lot of mystery and she is known for being a reclusive and distant person, yet her poetry is filled with a lot of beautiful insight concerning life and death, faith and doubt and what it means to be human.

Watch this space - I may still be getting an Emily Dickinson inspired tattoo this coming vac!! I'd most likely fall in love with the person who gets me a complete collection of her poems. 

In a shocking chain of events I mention John Green, who discusses Dickinson's obsession with white



"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee, One clover, and a bee. And revery. The revery alone will do, If bees are few." 

No comments:

Post a Comment