Sunday 26 May 2013

Onesie with the socks

Tiger Onesie
Not going to lie; this post is not about anything important. It’s more like of a comment of an interesting social trend that had started to develop. Namely the "Onesie".

At the beginning of the year I went out to one of the local waterholes. Halfway through the night a very tall man bumped into me. I turned around to confront him, but was speechless when I saw him. I immediately recognized his face; a first year from a res up the hill. But here’s the thing- he was dressed like a tiger. Yes, in a full tiger suit. All I could do was laugh. Since then I’ve seen him, and many other people, dressed as mice, zebras, crocodiles and tigers. 

Now many people have asked me: “Elri, what exactly is a onesie?”
Onesie is a commonly used word for loose-fitting casual jumpsuits for adults, made of knit cotton. They are mostly intended as loungewear or sleepwear, but have gained significant popularity as stylish street fashion.  Onesies come in many sizes and patterns, from polka dots to animal characters
 
Animal onesies
Originally, Onesies is a brand name of infant bodysuits. In 2008, when casual jumpsuits became increasingly popular, the press started discrediting them as "adult onesies" and the name seems to have eroded to a generic word. OnePiece, a company founded in 2007 by three Norwegian students, has been credited with popularising the garment as a piece of lifestyle fashion. Nowadays, however, several on-line businesses and department store chains sell adult onesies.


Even Macklemore mentions Onesies in his “Thrift shop” and is seen wearing a Batman one in the video. But onesies have been around for quite a while. Adult onesies have appeared on USA TV show such as Scrubs and Friends in 2007. 


Macklemore in a onesie

I’m not sure that I will ever have the guts to wear a onesie on a night out, but they sure look comfortable. I wonder how long the novelty of these onesies will last. Apparently the 17th of May is Internatonal Onesie Day.

You never know… maybe next year.

Scrubs- J.D in a onesie


No comments:

Post a Comment