Thursday 31 October 2013

Cool story, bro

I’ve never been sure about what it meant to be “cool” but all that I know is that, whatever it is, I was never it….Not in High school anyway.  Since I was doing the whole dictionary thing I decided to look up the word “cool”.  While disregarding the definition referring to “make something colder”, I couldn’t find a proper definition for the word “cool” with social situations.

Being “cool” seemed to be some kind of socially constructed concept that only some were able to attain while others, like myself, never got close. The best thing about university is that there isn’t such a thing as being cool. There isn’t a group of people who exist one rung higher up on the social hierarchy. You get to be yourself, have your own interests and hang out with anyone you want. Sure people still judge you, but at least you care a little less.

That being said, I’m thankful that I was classified as being uncool in high school. Being uncool meant that I read books, laughed often, watched fantastic movies about superheroes and hobbits, helped to fix up our school library and spent almost every weekend filming lame horror movies with my friends. It meant that I got to stay young and innocent for as long as possible. It meant that I learnt the importance of hard work, loyalty and passion for something you care about. Being uncool meant that I have to fight for the things that I believed in. For you I was. 

 It also meant that by the time I got to university I was at the right stage in my life that partying and going out was still enjoyable. When I go home everyone who used to think I was “uncool” are surprised by how confident I am now. It took me years to embrace this “uncool” side of myself and I’m glad I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment