Tuesday 26 November 2013

Boat Races 2013: #Gees

Ashleigh, Brendan, me and Dan
Das Kapital: “Rhodes students love hashtagging “gees”, it seems. #Spirited.”

Last year I loved Boat Races so much that it was only natural that I would go again this year. Due to reasons I can’t admit on a public forum I remember only parts of Boat Races Fest 2013, but it was just as a special and fun as last year. This time we were lot better prepared for the camping part and loaded my car with various supplies, drinks and food. This year I loaded Sally, Dan, Brendan and Sal’s sister, Ashleigh, in my car and met the rest of our friends at the campsite.

By the time we arrived a number of people had already parked their cars and set up their camps. We parked next to these loud Stellies guys and were surprised to discover our friend Keegan’s camp right next to us.

From there we visited the cocktail bar and won Mainstay beach balls. “Oh, look! We saw rowers.” A shock in seeing the rowers this time around.

That night things got a little…BoatRatchet. Let’s just say that drinking cocktails and Vodka mixes in the sun is never really a good idea. PHfat performed first. I had seen them perform once before, but this time was even better. In a dusty tent in the middle of a field. Somehow I ended up with an owl bennie on my head; jamming next to a very good-looking boy with a tie-dye shirt and a very unique dancing style. Next up was the DJ, Das Kapital, who was just as epic. He threw a Red Bull into crowd and the guy next to me caught it and shared some of it with me.

Das Kapital on top of  a Red Bull truck. 
In one daring moment some of my friends and I Tweeted Das Kapital: “The girls in the front row thing you are quite good looking.” To which he replied. “I thought they were beautiful.” 

By some miracle I found my way back to our tent and fell asleep at the foot of the tent; only to be woke up 2 hours later when the owner of the campsite began chasing students out. By law all of us had to be out of there at 8am and shockingly many of the hung-over campers around us managed to do so.

Keegan, Maddi and I covered in purple paint. 
Back in Grahamstown I had to get back to get back to my normal life. Which including doing my BoatRaces laundry. After a while all the dirt and dust was depressing me and a part of me felt like it would have been better to burn it all.

Overall BoatRaces was amazing and I am very excited to go again next 

Sally, Tshidi and I at the Mainstay tent
Wining Mainstay beach balls with Brendan and Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment