Thursday 21 November 2013

Life of an Average Learning Driver

I’ve only recently gotten my driver’s license and the experience was a surely horrifying event. After months of stress and frustration I finally managed to get this stupid little piece of plastic.  

Since Beit House is quite central I’ve never had needed a car to get around G-town. Even though this is pretty convenient for me it meant that I put off getting my licence for as long as possible. I only had my car in G-town for one semester in hopes that driving around this small town would help me become more comfortable with driving.

I once wrote that one of my character’s hated driving, because it felt so unnatural and when you think about it, it is very unnatural. Human beings were not designed to control a machine mechanically the way we do when we drive.  We weren’t born for this life, but yet it’s become a large part of the coming of age process. Driving is still stressful and after only having experienced two accident so far I can say that I think it’s getting slightly better. Driving does also allow for some serious reflections.

 So look out for the Silver Polo Hatchback, with the dent in the front, cruising through G-town with my Afrikaan pop rock CD blasting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment