Tuesday 5 November 2013

Wedding Bells (A Misleading title)

I found out of that of the girls who Matriculated with me had recently gotten married. That’s right. Gotten legitimately married. A full white dress, happily ever after-like wedding.  I hadn’t known her well in High School; she used to sit behind me in some of my classes and we occasionally talked after we matriculated. If I think about it clearly, at the age of 20, she is the first girl who matriculated with me to get married and the thought scares me a little. Even trying to send her a message was awkward for me. How does one tell a 20-year-old to enjoy her life with her husband? I got stuck on the word “husband”. Someone my age has a husband…

In the words of Ashleigh Brown:
“Shacking up at the tender age of 20 doesn’t make sense to me!”


I take the concept of marriage quite seriously, because I’ve seen what a terrible marriage and a divorce does to people. I’m blessed to have two happily married parents and a strong family, but I know that there are many people out there who aren’t as lucky. I’ve seen friends with families who’ve been ripped apart and children abandoned. Coming from a family in which love is given so easily it’s hard to imagine anything less. If you think that you are ready to get married then you better damn be sure. At the moment I know that I’m not ready to get married and I’m perfectly happy waiting.

Jenna Marbles sums up perfectly how I feel:
 "Oh, you just got married. Congratulations. I looked at pictures of cats today.”


No comments:

Post a Comment