Monday 30 May 2011

Eye twitching fury

So I had another blog post planned for today, but something happened that I thought was more pressing. A gay classmate of mine was harassed the other night by a group of ignorant, homophobic brutes and I am completely shocked and angered by this. I came to Rhodes with the naïve idea that everyone was more accepting, but I guess that’s not the case. Homophobic attacks should be taken as seriously as racist attacks. When those guys made that racist video at UFS a hail of hate and criticism rained down on them. I think that a homophobic attack should be treated the same way! It’s disgusting…
My eye is literally twitching as I think about it. I’m turning into a “giant squid of anger.”
(PS- A Giant Squid of Anger is something you turn into when you are so angered that you have to wave your arms erratically in the air and scream to get the anger out. John Green is the original Giant Squid of Anger, but it applies to me now.)
The gay community has been nothing, but kind to me and I don’t understand WHY people can’t just deal with the fact that there are people who are different to them! I’m proud to be friends with people who are strong and confident enough to be themselves.  It doesn’t bother me at all and it shouldn’t bother anyone!  I reinforce again the notion: “It doesn’t matter WHO you love…It matters THAT you love…
My message is one of acceptance!  Check out this video of what the true process to acceptance looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment