Saturday 7 May 2011

I miss you, Jimmy, and I don’t wanna miss a thing.

No, Jimmy isn’t the name of one my clandestine lovers. I was thinking back to the time when I had gotten measles. In my own style I don’t end up getting measles when I’m was younger like a normal person. No, I had to get it in my Matric year. Let’s just say that it was one of the strangest experiences of my life. I looked like a creature out of Lord of the Rings.

 Firstly I was naturally put under quarantine and was locked up in my house for almost three weeks during the holiday. My siblings were avoiding not only due to their fear of getting sick, but also because the inoculation injection bruises were still stinging.  So while my friends enjoyed their freedom I lay in bed wasting away and since I was locked in the house there really wasn’t much to do… that’s where the Jimmy thing comes in. That week was also the week in which South Africa’s lovely movie channel, Movie Magic, was airing “Blades of Glory” over and over again. Let’s just say that by the end of that week I could almost quote the whole movie from beginning to end. I probably watched it five or six times.

 I know it’s lame. I know it’s rude, odd and offensive, but honestly I was too sick to care. All I saw was Jon Herder in that shiny outfit and I laughed for days! Fresh to death! That guy is an acting treasure. The nerd look is in and he is rocking it! Will Farrell also somehow manages to pull of lines that actors wouldn’t be able to pull off.

·         Jimmy: Are you satisfied?
Chazz: I’m never satisfied. It’s a blessing and a curse.

·         Jimmy: I see you got fat. Chazz: I see you still look like a fifteen year old girl, but not hot.

·         Chazz: If we went to a Halloween party dressed as Batman and Robin, I'd go as Robin. That's how much you mean to me...

So while I was all hopped up on antibiotics and other meds and delirious from my fever all I remember was that I needed up doing a scene from the movie in which Will Farrell’s character is lying on the floor singing “I don't want to close my eyes, don't want to fall asleep cause I miss you Jimmy, and I don't wanna miss a thing” on the phone to Herder’s character Jimmy. And that’s where my siblings found me and took me to bed…

So here is the public announcement part of my blog (See, I can be serious when I want to be) please, please people, please go for your Measles inoculation! The risk of serious damage to your health is greater when you get measles after the age of 17.  So suffer the pain of one shot and escape the pain and delusions of isolation while in quarantine….



No comments:

Post a Comment