Wednesday 4 May 2011

Global interactions

I assume that most people who have access to the internet or some kind of media medium knows by now that Osama Bin Laden is dead. I woke up yesterday and when I went onto Facebook I was bombarded by dozens of statuses informing me about the Al-queda leader’s death. So I downloaded my weekly HYPE podcast and listened along as Ben Schoen and Andrew Sims discussed Bin Laden’s death and the implications of it. The podcast ended with the statement Barack Obama made confirming Osama’s death.
Sure, this is big news for the American public and for the global community, since 9/11 affected a large ammount of people, but it got me thinking about what my response to all of this is should be. People claim that it is not morally correct to celebrate the death of a human being, but to be honest it is hard not to in this case. Bin Laden celebrated after 9/11 and there is evidence that states that he was happy about what happened during the attacks. I can’t argue what is right and what is wrong or whether it is morally correct to celebrate Bin Laden’s death, but all I know is that if I had lost someone in during the 9/11 attacks or in the Iraq War, I would be feeling some sense of closure or happiness right now.
We just have to remember that just because Osama Bin Laden is dead does not mean that the War is over. We must not forget about the people who died during 9/11 or about the innocent people from both sides who had died during this War. We should be thankful that we are alive and able to live our lives.
I don’t really want to talk too much about politics, since that would be a case of the blind leading the blind…(PS I have learnt from experience that impressing guys with your knowledge of Politics is a FAIL!) This blog isn’t going to be about too serious things; just the world as I see it…
One of the main points that I actually wanted to make with this blog post was the fact that the news of Bin Laden’s death spread so quickly and, as a Media studies and Journalism student, I find the power of today’s modern media so powerful. In less than 10 minutes a young women from South Africa can know a lot about an event that happened in a place halfway across the globe. It’s amazing how our lives have become so intertwined with technology and social media…If you disagree…Then consider what you are doing when you are reading this blog right now?
(PS I suggest you all do yourselves a favour and go check out Barrack Obama’s speech. Pure American patriotism at its best. I’m South African and I almost shed a tear. ( Is it  message of hope or a political power move?))
(PSS The Podcast I referred to is called HYPE podcast. I suggest you check it out too. (I listen to it during the long bas trips home from ‘varsity- Great stuff. http://www.hypepodcast.com/about-us/)

1 comment: