Thursday 5 May 2011

Youtube and all its glory…

“Dude! Dude! I have to show you this hilarious video I just saw on Youtube! It’s the funniest thing I have ever seen! You have to see it!”

Sounds familiar?

Yeah, I bet it does…In my first blog I mentioned John Green, one of my favourite vloggers and I realized that I had to introduce you to the wonders of the Youtube. Those who know me well know that I have a bit of a Youtube obsession. Unfortunately many people also see Youtube as the website where you go if you want to see a video of a cat laughing or a video of stupid people falling on their faces, etc, but the Youtube community is so much larger than that. Did you know that Youtube was started by three guys who just wanted to share videos and now it has become one of the three most viewed websites/ internet programs (the others being Google and Facebook). The community has grown to extreme lengths and it’s truly amazing what the power of the internet can do once people begin to use it properly.

I first got introduced to Youtube the same way most people get introduced to Youtube. I was simply searching the internet for music videos to watch or trailers of up-coming movies, but one day my friend sent me a link to a certain video and from then on I was hooked…

That link sent me to a video by a certain British Youtuber going by the screen name Charlieissocoollike in which he sang a duet…with himself! Being totally enthralled by this young Brit barely a year older than me I had to find out more. The rest of his videos were just as funny and just damn entertaining. Pretty soon I started noticing that Charlie McDonnell had a friend hanging around in some of his videos…which lead me to the brilliance of Alex Day or Nerimon as the Youtube community knows him. Where Charlie is cheery and shiny, Alex is amazingly witty, crass, enthusiastic and brilliantly rough-around-the-edges.  

Alex and Charlie (whose friendship bares an odd resemblance to my friendship with a certain friend called Lisa Holtzhausen =D) started getting me into other other great Youtubers, such as Eddplant, Johnny Durham, RayWilliamJohnson, Sam Tsui, Kurt Schiender and Ryan Higa to name a few, but then I discovered the kings of the Youtube community: The vlogbrothers!

In 2005 John and Hank Green, two brothers, were tired of only communicating with each through things like emails, texts and the occasional phone calls so they started a vlogging project in which they would post vlogs on Youtube for the other one on alternating days. At first their vlogs were only meant for each other, but these vlogs were so insightful and entertaining that they soon gathered a large fan base- now called nerdfighteria, since fans call themselves Nerdfighters, because the brothers both claim to be nerds… Their videos are clever, funny, entertaining and sometimes even educational.   

So what I guess I was ranting on about is the next time someone sends you a link go check it out. Sure you might end up watching lame home prank or something, but you never know what you might discover if you don’t try…

Check out the history of Youtube:
Charlieissocoolike: http://www.youtube.com/user/charlieissocoollike?blend=1&ob=5#p/u/0/pVo-S9ns2_A
Nerimon: http://www.youtube.com/user/nerimon?blend=1&ob=5#p/u/12/HgW-xTosBTI

No comments:

Post a Comment