Thursday 19 May 2011

Sweet Lord...of the Rings!!

When I thought about writing a blog ‘The Lord of the Rings’ popped into my mind. I guess it’s ‘cause in my mind blogs are always linked to a love or an obsession of some kind. That is beside the point. Anyway...The Lord of the Rings. For some reason I though it wise to tackle reading the JRR Tolkien classic during my last year of High School. I must have simply decided to ignore the fact that the series is so long that it might that me a decade to read...
So I optimistically set off with the Fellowship of the Ring; nostalgically absorbing the details I had gained from watching the movies years ago. Yes, the book is brilliantly written and yes, I loved it, but wow, the book is long! After 30 pages you get an idea of what the valley looks like! Tolkien was a genius. I can barely think up what to write in a blog and he thought up a whole world; with its own history and a thriving population.

Naturally after reading the first one I had to read the rest, but my mind needed a rest so reading the Vampire Diaries seemed like the best way to shut off my mind for a while. (To clear up I have nothing against the CW series, I love it in fact, but the books were awful. How they managed to create a thrilling TV series based on that rot is beyond me, but more on this later.)

But after reading the Fellowship of the Ring and then enthusiastically discussing it with my brother, instilled a deep urge in me to see the movies again. So my brother, what a champ, convinced his friend to lend us the special extended edition pack of the whole series! Sure it took four day, numerous interrupts and random bathroom breaks, but in the end we watched all three movies (plus some extra special features.)

FACT: Viggo Mortensen is the best actor in the series. He should have won an Oscar by now for his work. Those who have seen “The Road” can confirm this. The man practically makes me want to weep after every performance. And even at his age he still looks fine! Shout-out to Dominic Monahan and Orlando Bloom. It would take hours to honour all the amazing actors and actresses in the movie; there are so many. Peter Jackson is the man!


If by the end of The Lord of the Rings you are not in tears then you do not have a heart or clearly you aren’t a fan and thus had wasted 9 hours of your life watching movies you dislike...making you an idiot.

So in the end I managed to read the whole series from beginning to end in the span of one year! It was so worth it… (PS JRR Tolkien was born in my home town, Bloemfontein! =D)

PS-For the full Lord of the Rings movie experience watch the Gollum/Sméagol inner monologue from the Two Tower a few times. It’s still classic! (Just take note that I might only be saying this because our disk got stuck at this part and in an attempt to fix the disk we inevitably watch this scene over and over and over and over again...)

 Peace out! And until next...'My preccioussssss'


2 comments:

  1. LOL! When I read the book these days I skip over soooo much....all those loooong descriptions, all those loooooong ballady songs...

    I also have the special edition DVD's and every couple of years a group of friends get together for a LOTR marathon! It's always epic! Fellowship of the Ring Friday night. The Two Towers Saturday morning. Return of the King Saturday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just get's too long in the middle there! I want to get to the exciting bits! Those songs kill me 'cause I feel bad for skimming over them.

    It's sooo much fun having a LOTR marathon! Everytime I watch it it's still amazing! My brother and I can quote the movies by now!

    ReplyDelete